A blind mate connector(BMA) is differentiated from other types of connectors by the mating action that happens via a sliding or snapping action which can be accomplished without wrenches or other tools. They have self-aligning features which allows a small misalignment when mating.
Usage : Electrical blind mate connectors provide power or signal and are distinguished from other connectors in that they do not feature a rigid mechanical retention mechanism belonging to the interface itself, such as a threaded coupling nut on an SMA connector. They are typically used in a multi-pin arrangement between racks and panels, daughtercard to backplane, or similar applications where the connector is not mated by itself, but rather by the action of inserting the entire unit or module.
RF : Blind mate RF connectors are generally intended to be used without wrenches or other tools, but can come packaged in a multiport configuration that includes mounting hardware or provided as inserts in a circular connector such as a MIL-DTL-38999. Some examples of blind mate RF interfaces include BMA (OSP), BMMA (OSSP), SMP, and SMPM.
Certain styles of blind mate RF connectors feature a detent or undercut to allow for the mating connector to snap into, improving retention. These styles are typically used when the mate is a cable connector and might see a significant force that would normally demate the connection.
Other configurations feature a smooth bore in which the mate simply slides into to connect. These arrangements are more commonly found in board to board connections, where they are mated with a female to female "bullet" adapter, and no significant force is present to demate the connection.
Optical: Optical signals can also be connected using blind mate connectors providing the capability to link fibre optics on a plug-in card to an optical backplane, or through an optical midplane
• Steel corrrosion resisitant per ASTM A-582, 300 Series, AMS 5567, AMS 5370
• Brass Alloy per ASTM B-16
• Beryllium copper per ASTM B-196 or B-197
• PTFE per ASTM D-1457
• Silicone Rubber per ZZ-R-756, CLASS IIB. 50-60 Shore.
• Vibration : Specification MIL-STD-202, Method 204, Test Condition D.
• Shock : Specification MIL-STD-202, Method 213, Test Condition I.
• Thermal Shock : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• Corrosion ( Salt Spray ) : Specification MIL-STD-202, Method 101, Test Condition B.
• Moisture Resistance
- Specification MIL-STD-202, Method 106, No measurement at high humidity. Insulation
resisitance shall be 200 megohms min. within 5 minutes after removal from humidity
• Force to Engage and Disengage : Engage_3.0 lbs. Max., Disengage_1.5 lbs. Max.
• Misalignment : ± .020 Radial Float .060 Min. Axial Float
• Coner Contact Retention : 6.0 lbs. Min.
• Cable Retention Force : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory
• Mating Characteristics
- See interface dimensions shown. Applicable to females only ; oversize pin 0.0372
+.001/-.0000 diameter 0.030/0.045 deep, 3 insertion : Insertion forece 3 lbs. maximum with
0.0370 + 0.0001/-0.0000 diameter pin,. 0.050/0.075 deep : withdrawal force 1 oz. Min. with
0.0355 + 0.0000/-0.0001 maximum diameter pin, 0.050/0.075 deep.
• Connector Durability
- 5000 cyslces. The connector shall meet the mating characteristic requirements.
• Insulation Resistance : The insulation resistance shall not be less than 5,000 megaohms.
• Dielectric Withstanding Voltage : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• RF High Potential Withstanding Voltage
- Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• Contact Resistance : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• Voltage Standing Wave Ratio ( VSWR ) : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• RF Leakage : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• Insertion Loss : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
• Corona Level : Refer to applicable military slash sheet or consult factory.
Center contacts shall be gold plated to a minimum thickness of .00005-inch in accordance with ASTM B-488, Type 2, Code C over nickel underplate. All other metal parts shall be finished so as to provide a connector which meets the corrosion requirements of this table.
The design shall be such that the outline dimensions in this catalog ar met. In addition,
the assembled connector shall meet the interface dimensions. Dimensions are reference
only unless stated.
• Body : Gold, Nickel, Silver, Suco Plating and Passivated depends on customer demand.
• Center contact : Gold, Nickel, Silver, Suco Plating depends on customer demand.